Benefits of doula care
Research has show many tangible benefits of doula care. Beyond what can be proven in the numbers the support of have a doula is beneficial in ways that can't be measured.
Improved birth outcomes
The presence of a doula at births is shown to:
- Reduce cesarean rates by 50%
- Reduce the length of labor by 25%
- Reduce the use of Pitocin by 40%
- Reduce the need for pain medication by 30%
- Reduce the requests for epidural pain management by 60 %
- Increase mom's self image
- Increase satisfaction in the overall birth experience
- Improve the relationship between mom and partner.
reduction of Postpartum Depression
Social and emotional support in the time after bringing a new baby home is shown to reduce the occurrence, intensity and duration of postpartum depression and other perinatal mood disorders. Having a trained professional as that support does a few other things too.
- increased breastfeeding rates
- increased bonding between parent and baby
- improved sleep
- improved nutrition for parents
- decrease of perinatal mood disorders
More joy and confidence
When you get the support and have a network of resources to tap into you feel more sure about what you are doing. While the numbers and static are great. It is this benefit of the world we do that is the most satisfying.
To watch a new parent move from uncertainty to confidence caregivers is the greatest work we do.